Welcome to Fitzwilliam Townhouse
The Townhouse is a heritage property and is designated by Dublin City Council as a protected structure. Most of the Townhouse is original and as it was in 1836.
THE RAILINGS OUTSIDE / THE FRONT DOOR / THE STAIRS / MOST OF THE CEILINGS / THE ARCHITRAVE / THE FLOORS / THE WINDOWS ARE OF THE PERIOD.
During the 19th century it was common for wealthy landowners to have a Dublin residence.
This property was acquired by the Braddell Family on 27th February 1836* for £600. The family had a country residence at Coolmelagh House in north County Wexford with nearly a thousand acres of land.
Limited modern alterations have taken place in keeping with the building and modern living. Structural changes such as the installation of evaluator is not allowed due to the impact on the building.
The building in its original form contained a kitchen in the basement with a kitchen staff to serve the family with the Governess and children on the top floor.
The management and staff are proud of having the opportunity to work in such a unique historical period building in such a great location. We hope you enjoy your stay with us and appreciate this Building which has stood for 181 years. We have laid out historical information throughout the building to help give background to the owners and the home.
THE BATTLE OF THE ALAMO IN TEXAS TOOK PLACE.
FIRST RAILWAY OPENED IN ENGLAND LINKING LONDON TO GREENWICH.
THE CITY OF ADELAIDE WAS FOUNDED IN AUSTRALIA.
History from 1856
The history we have relating to this house dates back to 18th July 1856 when Mr Ambrose Cox, D.L.J.P, purchased number 41 Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin 2.
His country seat was Clara House, Kings County (today, Co. Offaly) and typical of the time, this house would have been the Cox Family town residence, which fitted their position as Landlords.
Mr & Mrs Cox and family would have stayed in Dublin when entertaining friends and family, attending social functions and for business purposes.
Their main house and Estate was Clara House in Clara, Co. Offaly.
The houses were built as elegant family residences. The ground floor was for family living.
The second floor rooms were the family sleeping quarters, while the first floor, with its two grand rooms and large windows, was reserved for entertaining.
Children and nannies occupied the top floor and servants lived and worked in the basement with its large kitchen.
The use of the returns is not totally clear, but it is thought that they were used as sewing rooms or the maids’ room.
A Brief History of Fitzwilliam Street
Fitzwilliam Square, Merrion Square and Baggot Street were built on Baggotrath on lands owned by Vicount Fitzwilliam and through which the ancient routes leading south of the city passed.
The 6th Vicount Fitzwilliam of Merrion began development of Merrion Square on the great fields of this estate in the 1750’s and Fitzwilliam Square was subsequently laid out in the late 18th century Fitzwilliam Street forms the eastern side of both Merrion Square and the later Fitzwilliam Square and is a long expanse of Georgian architecture terminated by Holles Street Maternity Hospital. Holles Street was designed to run off the square from the corner but was dislocated to allow for the building of Antrim House, now the site of the Hospital.
Both squares and the surrounding neighbourhood instantly acquired a reputation as the prestigious place to live and work in Dublin. The prestige of the location has pertained through the centuries and 50 years ago the majority of these magnificent buildings were used as private residences. Many of the houses have plaques with historical information on former notable residents. Ambrose Cox JP bought 41 Upper Fitzwilliam Street (now Fitzwilliam Townhouse) on 18th July 1856.