The Visit Dublin Itinerary

When you visit Dublin you can now follow in the footsteps of of Queen Elizabeth II. Visit the historical landmarks, a stud farm in Co Kildare and a food market in Co Cork. When you visit Dublin you can vist nine out the thirteen famous landmarks that Queen Elizabeth II spent time in during her historical visit to Ireland in May 2011.

Áras an Uachtaráin - The official residence of the President of Ireland and not open to the public, however, it is located in Dublin Phoenix Park and the House is visible from locations throughout the Park.
The original house was built by Park Ranger Nathaniel Clements in 1751. By 1782 it was acquired for use by the viceroys who oversaw British rule in Ireland. The house was used as the official residence of the viceroys until 1922. Following the creation of the Irish Free State, it served as the residence of the governors general.

Garden of Remembrance, Parnell Square, Dublin 1
Designed by Cavan-born architect Daithi Hanly, the Garden of Remembrance is dedicated to the memory of
all those who gave their lives in the cause of Irish Freedom. The large sculpture by Oisin Kelly is
based on the theme of the 'Children of Lir'. The garden is intended as a place of quiet remembrance
and reflection.

Trinity College, Dublin 2 - View the Book Of Kells
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is Ireland's oldest university. In 2009/10, it had just under 17,000 students registered. Located in Dublin city centre, its campus occupies some 51 acres. Trinity College's library is the largest in Ireland and one of the biggest research libraries in Europe. Each year, around 500,000 people visit the Old Library, containing the Long Room and the Book of Kells.

Guinness Storehouse, Dublin 8
Located on the site of the St James's Gate Brewery, the Guinness Storehouse has attracted some 4m visitors since it opened in November 2000. The building, constructed in 1904, has been converted into an exhibit showing how Guinness is made. The highest pub in Dublin, the Gravity Bar, is located on the seventh floor. Visitors to the storehouse can also try their hand at pulling the perfect pint.
Government Buildings, Dublin 2 (not open to the public)
Completed in 1922, the Government Buildings' complex was available immediately to be used by the Irish Free State government. Currently a number of Government departments are located on the site including the Department of the Taoiseach.

Irish War Memorial Garden, Islandbridge
The gardens, located on about eight hectares, are situated on the south side of the River Liffey, 3km from Dublin's city centre. These gardens are one of the most famous memorial gardens in Europe. They are dedicated to the memory of 49,400 Irish soldiers who died in the 1914-1918 war. The names of all the soldiers are contained in the granite book rooms in the Gardens. These gardens are not only a place of remembrance but are also of architectural interest and of great beauty. Designed by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944), they are one of four Gardens in this country designed by him. The others being Heywood Gardens, Lambay Island and those in Howth Castle. Sunken rose gardens, herbaceous borders and extensive tree planting make for an enjoyable visit to the Gardens in any season.

Croke Park - Stadium of Gaelic Games (Hurling & Gaelic Football)
The Croke Park Museum is open to visitors and ocated 1km north of Dublin's city centre, Croke Park is the headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association. Boasting a capacity for 82,300 people, the stadium is the home of Gaelic games. It is the third largest stadium in Europe after Barcelona's Nou Camp and Wembley in London. In 1993, the redevelopment of Croke Park began. It took place in four stages culminating in 2005 with a new Hill 16. On 21 November 1920, 14 people were killed and dozens wounded by British security forces at a Gaelic Football match in Croke Park.

Dublin Castle
Dublin Castle is situated in the heart of historic Dublin. The city gets its name from the Dubh Linn or Black Pool located on the site of the castle's gardens and coach house. Founded in 1204 by King John of England, it was completed in 1230. On 16 January 1922, Michael Collins arrived in the Upper Yard and received the handover of the Castle from the last Lord Lieutenant FitzAlan on behalf of the new Irish government. All of the castle's historic buildings have been restored.
National Stud Kildare & Japanese Gardens, Co Kildare. (28 miles from Dublin)
The first record of a stud farm being set up was in 1900 when the lands were purchased by Colonel William Hall-Walker. In 1916, he presented the stud to the British government for the purpose of founding a British National Stud. In 1943, the Irish government took over the land and buildings. In 1945, the Irish National Stud Company Ltd was founded and it took over the running of the stud on 31 August 1946.

Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park, Dublin (Guided tours of the House daily)
The 78-acre site in Dublin's Phoenix Park was bought for €29.2m in 1999 from the Guinness family. The Office of Public Works began to renovate the house in 2001. It is currently used to accommodate visiting dignitaries and guests of Ireland.

The Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary - Tour of St Patrick's Rock. (88 miles South of Dublin)
The rock of Cashel is a historic site located in the Golden Vale in Co Tipperary. Prior to the Norman invasion, it was the traditional seat of the kings of Munster for several hundred years. Buildings that remain on the site include a round tower, high cross, Romanesque chapel and a gothic cathedral. The rock of Cashel is a historic site located in the Golden Vale in Co Tipperary. Prior to the Norman invasion, it was the traditional seat of the kings of Munster for several hundred years. Buildings that remain on the site include a round tower, high cross, Romanesque chapel and a gothic cathedral.

English Market Cork City, Co. Cork (130 miles South of Dublin)
The origin of the English Market can be traced back to King James 1 of England in 1610, but the building that the market is currently located in dates from 1786 - making it one of the oldest markets of its kind. It is an enclosed market with entrances off Grand Parade, Patrick Street and Princes Street. Open Monday through Saturday, traders sells everything from seafood to cakes.

Tyndall Institute Cork City, Co. Cork.
Created in 2004, the Tyndall National Institute works in the area of photonics, electronics, materials and nanotechnologies. It was created at the initiative of the then Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment and the University College Cork.